'Teach Your Kids To Behave'

Friday 1 February 2013

Teaching Your Kids To Behave : On Letting Them Right Their Own Wrong

When Fit was 5 years plus, he wore his flip flop incorrectly (left on right, right on left). I was about to guide him when my sister stopped me. She says if he feels comfortable, and it is not causing major duress, just let him be. Few days later, while out playing with his neighbor, Kathy (a 4 year old girl), he ran back to the house looking for his mum.

Fit : MaMA, have I been wearing my flip flop incorrectly all this while?

Sis : Why did you say so dear?

Fit : Kathy says I look silly in my flip flop, and she says I wear it wrongly.

Sis : So do you feel uncomfortable wearing it this way?

Fit : After she told me, I do feel uncomfy. So did I wear it wrongly?

Sis : (smiling as she replies) yes my dear, so what you intend to do?

Without saying anything, he took off his flip flop and interchanges the left and right side, then off he ran to look for Kathy. From then onwards, he never got his flip flop mixed up again.


Kids might have been doing something incorrectly (i.e. wearing the shoes incorrectly, wearing the trousers or shorts on the wrong side). It’s good to let them discover and teach themselves about it as long as the mistake is not life endangering to him/her or others. And anyway, if they are comfortable, why stick to the norm and convention. They might start a trend or fashion statement this way. This way they can learn faster and remember “mistakes” they have made instead of they knowing that adults will always guide and teach them every now and then.


Right or wrong, let them learn

No comments:

Post a Comment