'Teach Your Kids To Behave'

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Teachinging Your Kids to Behave: On letting them decide what they want


When Fit completed his PSLE (Primary School Leaving Examination, an exam before they go to high school), which he got pretty good results (he top his school) and come to the time to decide his choice of secondary school (high school), everyone in the family are giving different inputs on which school he should choose.

Aunt A: “ xyz high school is good, they has the best rugby team in this country and teachers are good too. My dear Georgie is in secondary 3 now, he can help look after Fit. Enroll him there la.”
(I suspect  Georgie is a faggot, think he join the rugby team just to get screw by the players)

Uncle B : “ABC High had a very good reputation. Teaching methods are wonderful. I graduated from there and look, I am now a successful  lawyer. Everyone in the law community respect me. On top of that, it is a boy’s school, no distraction of girls, can definitely study better.”
(No doubt Uncle B is very successful in his career; he is also unsuccessfully not married. I believe being in a boy school had made him a faggot also.)

There are numerous more suggestions coming from various parties. My sis just smiles and says thanks for the suggestions, and she will consider. Fit, who is sitting by the side playing with his PSP is pretty nonchalant about the whole hoo-ha. When alone with Fit, sis asked him does he have any school in mind. I was with them listening to their conversation.

Fit : (nodding his head) Yup, I do have a school in mind.

Sis : So which one is it?

Fit : TTT Secondary School

Sis: I see. Why TTT?

Me (by the side thinking to myself): how come that dude chooses that school man? It is not a top school and with his results, he can definitely choose a better one

Fit : Because they have the best Art teachers there.

Me (again thinking to myself): Ah! Now I see why. This chap got potential, he starts hunting when young. I didn’t even think of bedding my Art teacher when in high school.

Fit (cont’) : And although they are not the top ranked schools, they have one of the best art results in the nation. I am keen in arts and I like to draw..

Sis : I see. Ok, we shall go register TTT tomorrow.

Fit: How about the suggestions by uncle B and aunty A?

Sis: To hell with their suggestions. It is your life, not mine, not theirs, (pointing to me) and not your 大舅. I think you are sensible enough to choose what you think is best for you. And anyway, what is the point if you are successful but behave like a faggot.

Kids can be more sensible than you realize. There comes a time when you should let go and let them decide what is best for them. Teach and guide them to make decision themselves. You will probably just need to understand why they choose this path and if it is not causing harm to others or themselves; why not let them go ahead and try it out. 

Teach Your Kids to Think

No comments:

Post a Comment