'Teach Your Kids To Behave'

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Teaching Your Kids : On being over-protective



My nephew (FatBoy) was getting ready  for his primary 5 (5th grader) student leader camp when his grandma (my mum) fret around, concern, worried for his dear grandson first trip away from home for 3 days. She started helping him pack his backpack and the results seems like he is going to migrate to Antarctica.

My sis on seeing this, went into my room, opens my wardrobe, took out my sets of No. 4 uniform (it’s a naming convention we Singaporean gave to our army uniform) and started to pack it into my backpack.  My mum on seeing this, ask her what the hell is she doing. Sis replied “Oh, I am helping you pack so that next time when your dear grandson serve the nation (all boys at the age of 18 have to go through national service in the army for 2 years in Singapore), you can go into his training camp to take care of him. How about that?”

A kid will need to grow up eventually and being over-protective does not help in teaching them how to be independent. This might also hinder the kid process of knowing how to stand up and fight for his own rights.Sometime, learning the hard way can possibly be the right way.

Teach Your Kids Well

No comments:

Post a Comment